Searching one composer by genre or instruments

Moderator: kcleung

ahc
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Searching one composer by genre or instruments

Post by ahc »

I may have missed some already existing thread about this. In that case, I apologize and would apprecate a link.

IMSLP seems to have undergone an essential degradation since last time I was here. Is it really no longer possible to narrow down one's search among the scores of one composer by genre or instrumentation, or has the option been hidden somewhere it's difficult to find? I do hope it will be returned soon, or returned to where it's readily visible. The "Category Walker" is no replacement, since it throws all composers into the same tombola.

But I must say I am puzzled by not having found any thread about this: I would have thought more people than me should have been flabbergasted by the apparent abolishment of such an essential function.

edit: I've found the tiny button "list" hidden under "actions". Then please put it somewhere much more prominent! Excuse me, but I don't think all users are experienced "nerds" or have all time in the world to search for such minusculities. But I do think many users who come across a problem of this kind don't dare or think it worthwhile to ask about it like this, because both they themselves and many others tend to blame them rather than the layout of the site.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Searching one composer by genre or instruments

Post by KGill »

ahc wrote:The "Category Walker" is no replacement, since it throws all composers into the same tombola.
If you just do it for the entire category of Scores, yes. However, you may notice that on every single composer page, there's a link towards the top - 'Show works by type/instrumentation'. Clicking on this narrows down your search within only that composer (see here for an example).
As for the 'tiny button', that has in fact been commented on before and will probably be fixed before too long. Remember that the system is a work in progress; even so, contrary to what you may think, it does represent a considerable advancement over what the site had before.