J. C. Graupner Recorder Concerto: Probable Error in m/s

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

maurice alan quinn
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

J. C. Graupner Recorder Concerto: Probable Error in m/s

Post by maurice alan quinn »

Apropos the above Graupner Recorder Concerto in F I have to report an error in the Recorder-part in the Opening Movement at Bar#45 in the Darmstadt m/s; I became aware the discrepancy in my MIDI playback of the Sibelius Score that I have produced viz:
The last four notes in the Recorder Part produce consecutive-octaves with the violin II part. The effect would certainly not have been what the composer would have wished. I have therefore lowered the notes downwards a minor third; this works well in playback.
This is not the first time that I have queried an obvious error in a Darmstadt score that has been perpetuated in an imslp typesetting; both instances involve recorder-parts/French violin-clef misunderstandings.
Don't get me wrong - the recent inclusion of Darmstadt source-material is of huge importance to me - but I have learned over many years to thorougly investigate any questionable copyist-errors that do in fact occur.
(Palmerston North, New Zealand Tue 27 Nov 2012 @ 10:00NZDT)
rkram53
regular poster

Re: J. C. Graupner Recorder Concerto: Probable Error in m/s

Post by rkram53 »

Thanks. I'll look at that.
maurice alan quinn

Post by maurice alan quinn »

GRAUPNER RECORDER CONCERTO GWV323 FURTHER ERROR in DARMSTADT SCORE:

Apropos the above my MIDI playback has uncovered another error: In the Final movement (Recorder-part) at Bar 379 (Darmstadt)/Bar #218 (Kram) the eighth-note (quaver) is G, not F.
This is a copyist-error arising no doubt from lesser-familiarity of French Violin Clef.
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

if it matters, many of the Darmstadt scores are ms copy scores (or abschrift, as RISM puts it)- blame the copyists? :) ... and even then neither manuscripts nor ms. copies are at all easy to read of course- having tried to transcribe a scan of a ms quartet score into parts for playing I temporarily gave up, awhile back- well, I hope temporarily...
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

These probable errors should probably be noted in the Misc. Notes section for that edition, especially if the errata isn't very lengthy. I think we tend to forget to look on the discussion pages to see if anyone has picked up errors, so, especially if it's just one or two, that Misc. Notes section is an "up front" place where it's really obvious.
bsteltz