Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

ctesibius
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Platti. Cello concertos

Post by ctesibius »

Hi,
Platti wrote at least 25 cello concertos (plus 4 incomplete ones). I haven't found any publication. Probably they still seats in Wuerzburg. Does anybody has any ideas? Any chance to get the hands on the manuscripts?

Ctesibius
Eric
active poster

Re: Platti. Cello concertos

Post by Eric »

The opus 24 concerto (1874) manuscript is at the Istituto G. Donizetti in Bergamo, and a CD with a scan of opus 24, the concertino opus 18, and the capricci opus 25 is at Yale's Sterling University Library apparently.
Caprotti
regular poster

Post by Caprotti »

First of all the name is Piatti, not to be confused with Platti, a baroque composer.

Concerto op.24 :
- ms in Bergamo ref.L.9012 L 9009
- score (probably cello and piano) in Milano ref. vlc.A.29.30.4
- full score reprinted in Bergamo , 2002 (Civico Istituto Musicale Donizetti)

for scan orders :
Bergamo : donizetti@bibliotecamai.org

Milano : biblioteca@consmilano.it
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

erf, looking at the thread, it's Platti, not Piatti, who's being asked about. Apologies, I cannot read. Will go back and check. (It seems somehow possible that Platti (generation after Vivaldi) might have written 2 dozen concertos- perhaps even for cello- whose manuscripts are holed up in a German library, at that. He does seem to have written keyboard concertos and sonatas that have been recently recorded.)
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Hi,
yes indeed. It is Platti not Piatti. Platti fortepiano sonatas are very important in the evolution of piano sonatas. I'll upload them soom. I was not able to track the cello concertos. Thanks for your support

Ctesibius
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

hrm. I see BSB has a probably PD-EU-only edition (edited by William S. Newman (1912-2000), who wrote a favorite trilogy of books of mine, The Sonata in the Baroque Era/Classical Era/Since Beethoven - from which I first learned , I think, about Robert Fuchs and others I now enjoy so - but that is way off-topic!) published 1947 of sonatas including some by Platti. but that should be no barrier for uploading or downloading if one lives in the EU...
Caprotti
regular poster

muziekschatten.nl

Post by Caprotti »

A very important batch of scores has been recently made available at:

http://www.muziekschatten.nl

You must login for enter in the site.

Apart form the 5,000 already digitized scores that can be downloaded, it's very important to browse the entire catalogue in order to request new digitalizations : click on the score you wish and the library sends you an email of receipt for every score requested. If they'll work at considerable speed (not following Sibley's extended tile lapse between request and scan) a lot of important gaps could be filled.

I invite everybody to send their requests to the site
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: muziekschatten.nl

Post by jfarrington »

Caprotti wrote:If they'll work at considerable speed (not following Sibley's extended tile lapse between request and scan) a lot of important gaps could be filled.
Assuming that's a typo and Caprotti meant "time"...wow. Just, wow.
Jim
Caprotti
regular poster

Post by Caprotti »

yes, time. When you request a score to Sibley, you often wait for several months before receiving a mail of availability.
Caprotti
regular poster

Post by Caprotti »

anyway my doubts were well grounded, since I've just received the following message from the Netherlands :

You can start sending a request from September, as is mentioned on the request-page and only 3 items at a time, and only works which are out of copyright.

We will now remove all your requests, and you may send one later this year.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Hallo Ctesibius,
I guess you didn't have access to MGG (Musik in Geschichte und Gegenwart) for Platti references. They list a concerto for Vc in A at D-Dl (according to the SLUB catalog this is a violin concerto, Mus.2787-O-1) and 28 concerti for Vc in D-WD (Musiksammlung des Grafen von Schönborn-Wiesentheid). Several members of the family of Schönborn-Wiesentheid were archbishops of Würzburg in the 18th century.
At RISM I found the following
Wiesentheid, Musiksammlung des Grafen von Schönborn-Wiesentheid (D-WD)
Not cataloged in RISM, but a printed catalog exists:
Fritz Zobeley und Frohmut Dangel-Hofmann: Die Musikalien der Grafen von Schönborn-Wiesentheid: thematisch-bibliographischer Katalog, Tutzing 1967-1992
Microfilms of the music manuscripts are archived by Deutsches Musikgeschichtliches Archiv in Kassel. You can order copies, if you sign the release forms: http://www.dmga.de
and http://www.dmga.de/Formulare/Formular_W ... d_2009.pdf
Let me know if you cannot find a copy of the D-WD catalog, and I can copy the relevant pages at SBB for you.

@Caprotti: I think you are very unfair to Sibley, very few digitization projects around the world are open to requests free of charge - most will ask you to pay the usual fees of 40 and more Eurocents per page and then put the scans online for all other users free of charge (like SBB). And if you consider that only one or two people usually do the scans, then a few weeks of waiting while the requests of other users are processed before your own is not unreasonable.
That said, long ago (about 1998) I had my own little problem with Sibley, because they had already charged my credit card for microfilms and several email requests over a period of a few months for info went unanswered. Finally I called long-distance by phone, and found out that their only photographer had first been sick and then quit ...
Most of those works were among the first covered by the online scanning project.
Caprotti
regular poster

Post by Caprotti »

I know very well that Sibley represents the most wonderful example of how a library should behave (i.e. let the uncopyrighted scores be free on the library's site) and I tried to illustrate that kind of example to some important italian librairies too in the past years.
I was talking about a personal experience of request of free scans to Sibley 4 or 5 years ago, may be that now the procedure is not at all slow.
ctesibius
active poster

Post by ctesibius »

Thanks for all replies. In particular Kalliwoda for the detailed instruction. I haven't check MGG since my knowledge of german is minimal.
Ctesibius
Eric
active poster

Post by Eric »

sounds like they have two discs then, counting the one with the opus 24 concerto etc. I mentioned earlier. Good. Except that's still for the more recent composer, whereas the person who started this thread was seeking information on an older one. Platti, not Piatti...