Heinrich Dessauer arrangements

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

WilliamBunting
forum adept
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Heinrich Dessauer arrangements

Post by WilliamBunting »

Could we find these Dessauer arrangements?

This list is only up to 1900. HD died in 1917.

Boccherini, L., Sonate No. 3 (G) p. Vla et Piano transcr. p. H. Dessauer. Mainz, Schott r 1899.

Bruch, Max, Adagio aus dem Violinkonzert, Op. 26, f. Vla (Vla alta) m. Pfte übertr. v. Heinrich Dessauer. Leipzig, Siegel. 1894.

Grieg, Edvard, Op. 13. Sonate (G) f. Pfte u. V., f. Vla u. Pfte übertr. v. Heinrich Dessauer.. Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel. 1895.

Bargiel, Woldemar, Op. 38. Adagio (G) f. Vcello m. Orch. Ausg. f. Vla (bearb. v. H. Dessauer) m. Pfte.. Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel. 1894.

Corelli, A., Op. 5. Sonate No. 12 (Follia) p. Vla et Piano transcr. p. H. Dessauer. Mainz, Schott 1899.

Francoeur, Fz., Sonate No. 4 (E) p. Vla et Piano transcr. p. H. Dessauer. Mainz, Schott 1899.

Hollaender, Gustav, Op. 3. Spinnerlied f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinrich Dessauer.. Leipzig, Rob. Forberg. 1894.

Hollaender, Gustav, Op. 12. Wiegenlied f. Vla u. Pfte bearb. v. Heinrich Dessauer.. Leipzig, Rob. Forberg. 1894.

Hollaender, Gustav, Op. 36. Cavatine f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinr. Dessauer. Leipzig, Hug & Co. 1894.

Hollaender, Gustav,Op. 37. Gavotte f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinrich Dessauer. Leipzig, Hug & Co. r 1894

Leclair, J.B., Sonate No. 3 (D) p. Vla et Piano transcr. p. H. Dessauer. Mainz, Schott 1899.

Neruda Bercuse Slave Op 11 f . Vc m. Pfte f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinrich Dessauer Rahter

Raff, Joachim, Andante aus dem 1. Violinkonzert, Op. 161, f. Vla (Vla alta) m. Pfte übertr. v. Heinrich Dessauer.. Leipzig, Siegel. l 1894.

Rentsch, Ernst, Op. 6. Romanze f. V. m. Pfte, f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinrich Dessauer.. Leipzig, Hug & Co. 1894.

Wilhelmj, August, Romanze (E) f. Vla m. Pfte arr. v. Heinr. Dessauer.– Berlin, Schlesinger. 1894.

Simon, A., Berceuse f. Vla m. Pfte bearb. v. Heinr. Dessauer. Leipzig, Hug & Co. r 1894.

Marie Elisabeth, Wiegenlied f. Vla m. Pfte einger. v. Heinr. Dessauer. Leipzig, Leuckart. 1894.

In addition, a series of Alard- Dessauer baroque son arrangements includes Gavinies and Handel (already on IMSLP) and Popora Nardini Leclair Francoeur Pagin Boccherini and Tartini.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Heinrich Dessauer arrangements

Post by pml »

Hi William,

I trust you’ve read the article over at IMSLP:Wishlist? There’s a certain murky area in which a list of items ceases being a request and becomes a demand, or an amicable tone becomes hectoring, and with respect, I’d gently suggest your request might be encroaching on that area. Apologies in advance if I am reading something into your request that isn’t there.

It may be relatively easy to find these pieces, and if so, hopefully some contributors will assist you in adding them to IMSLP.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Emil
regular poster

Post by Emil »

Thank your for your advice. I have checked the wishlist notes again. Indeed this is not a request for one work only. Do I therefore have to make additions to fifteen different wishlists?

As a neophyte I assumed that a "score request" page was indeed the place to put a score request. If other users choose to read this as a demand, that is unfortunate.

If someone had put up a similar request for Dessauer Handel Gm violin sonata a month ago I would have been pleased to upload my copy. In fact I uploaded it spontaneously. Raising objections to this kind of request simply slows the process of allowing amateur players (especially the rising generation) access to a wealth of suitable repertiore.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

It is one of the lengthier lists of requested scores I've seen on the forum, to be sure, but I don't think this is an inappropriate venue. I would ask that, for sake of clarity and simplicity of reading (and tracking down scores), the names be standardized with instrumentation listed in English as this is primarily and English-speaking forum. I would be glad to try and locate some of these for you.

EDIT: Major typo corrected--I don't think this is an INAPPROPRIATE venue. In other words, this is the purpose of this forum, however it would also be helpful on the wishlist as others have pointed out.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

Most of these can be found in the image card catalog at SBB, not in the searchable digital catalog:
http://musikipac.staatsbibliothek-berli ... n=S1440582
You will have to leaf through the cards from S1440559 to S1440597.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Dear Emil,

as you confess yourself as an IMSLP neophyte, may I accordingly presume that you are unaware that some people do abuse the requests system by demanding unreasonable quantities of music? This request as I said was not unreasonable, but combined with the tenor of the message it began to look like an infringement of the spirit of the wishlist guidelines. They are not meant to be shopping lists of unachievable dimensions, and it is quite reasonable to point out that there is a policy on the subject. Thank you for your contribution of the Handel arrangement.

In respect of those guidelines, if one was inclined to be pedantic, then the items given here exceed the number of works already available by about five or six times, which is why the seemingly less polite tone in the post here was surprising, especially comparing the similar request that had been put to Carolus. The original post gives the impression that the number of items desired is significantly greater, because the list had to be cut off at the year 1900 (when the arranger lived another 17 years), thus more than a slight whiff of ignoring guidelines (3) and (4).

To return to the point:

It would be permissible, I think, to put all of the individual composer arrangements under a wishlist heading for Dessauer himself, rather than each of the separate thirteen composers – since the item of concern is that these are the arrangements that are wanted, and not necessarily to the same extent the original compositions of the respective composers. (Since the original list of seventeen items had four pieces by Hollaender, an argument could be made for putting those four under the wishlist entry for the composer rather than the arranger, but given the length of the list they might as well all be put against Dessauer’s name.)

Regards, PML
--
PML (talk)
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Thank you for your thoughtful contributions. It is gratifyng to have some reaction to my score request after three previous requests produced no replies at all.

Accordingly I have taken the following steps:
A revised and compressed list with translations is provided to satisfy Daphnis' request and in acknowledgment of his kind offer to look out for this material.

As for PML's point about the cut off in 1900, at Kalliwoda's prompting I checked the SBB card catalog and found that, strangely, Dessauer only wrote a few monographs and no arrangements after 1900.

It strikes me as strange that with nearly 100,000 scores in the collection, asking for some or all of 15 long out of print , essentially forgotten works (in other words IMSLP'S stock-in-trade) is considered by at least one fellow contributor to be unethical.

Th revised request list:

The uploading of some or all of the following arrangements by Heinrich Dessauer for viola and piano would be appreciated. All the original works are for violin and piano unless stated otherwise.

Boccherini, L., Sonate No. 3 (G). Mainz, Schott r 1899.

Bruch, Max, Adagio aus dem Violinkonzert, (from the violin concerto) Op. 26, Leipzig, Siegel. 1894.

Grieg, Edvard, Op. 13. Sonate (G) f. Pfte u. V.. Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel. 1895.

Bargiel, Woldemar, Op. 38. Adagio (G) f. Vcello m. Orch... Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel. 1894.

Hollaender, Gustav, Op. 3. Spinnerlied.. (Spinning Song)Leipzig, Rob. Forberg. 1894. Op. 12. Wiegenlied. (Cradle song)Leipzig, Rob. Forberg. 1894. Op. 36. Cavatine. Leipzig, Hug & Co. 1894. , Op. 37. Gavotte. Leipzig, Hug & Co. r 1894

Neruda Berceuse Slave (Slav Cradle song) Op 11 (original for cello) Rahter

Raff, Joachim, Andante aus dem 1. Violinkonzert, (from the first violin concerto) Op. 161, Leipzig, Siegel. 1894.

Rentsch, Ernst, Op. 6. Romanze , Leipzig, Hug & Co. 1894.

Wilhelmj, August, Romanze (E) Berlin, Schlesinger. 1894.

Simon, A., Berceuse Leipzig, Hug & Co. r 1894.

Marie Elisabeth, Wiegenlied. (Cradle song) Leipzig, Leuckart. 1894.

Drdla Canzonette d’apres Danbe op 67

In addition, there is a series of Alard- Dessauer baroque sonata arrangements includes Gavinies and Handel (already on IMSLP) and Porpora Nardini Leclair Francoeur Pagin Boccherini and Tartini. The following baroque sonatas are listed in SBB : Corelli, A., Op. 5. Sonate No. 12 (Follia). Francoeur, Fz., Sonate No. 4 Leclair, J.B., Sonate No. 3 (D) (E) All Mainz, Schott 1899.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

I still require some clarification. For example, the first request (Boccherini) is a Sonata...for what instrument? I find a couple of versions published by Schott--an "original" for cello and a transcription for violin.
For the second (Bruch), are you aware IMSLP already has a full score and a reduction for piano for this concerto? Your title is "Adagio aus dem Violinkonzert" but for what instrumentation? Is this a transcription for piano, for example?
For the third (Grieg), have you seen the two different versions we have, including one published by Breitkopf & Härtel?
I have not progressed past these first three, but this is the type of clarification needed when wading through many different versions and publications of a piece of music.
kalliwoda
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by kalliwoda »

@Daphnis:
Don't make it so difficult for a newbie on imslp, in his first line he states that he is looking for arrangements for viola, and he just doesn't repeat this on every line to simplify and save space - perfectly clear to me :)

That said, a very large part of the scores on imslp are not individually contributed scans, but "mirrors" from the many digitization projects by libraries around the world - and that is also the reason for the preponderance of rare items among the works. With very few exemptions (Sibley!) libraries usually don't work off a wishlist, they may even charge for individually requested scans (see SBB, SLUB etc).
Here on imslp long wishlists are just a bit counterproductive, if some volunteer is to be prodded to look up these works, take them out of a library, scan them and then download them. A single wish or a few items are much more likely to be noticed.
There was also a discussion not to long ago that pointed to the disadvantage a single entry on the wishlist has, if someone else enters a request for dozens of works by the same composer...
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Don't make it so difficult for a newbie on imslp, in his first line he states that he is looking for arrangements for viola, and he just doesn't repeat this on every line to simplify and save space - perfectly clear to me
Ah, stupid me. I forgot what the entire thread title was. That makes a big difference.
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Thank you pml for pointing out the Dessauer page on the IMSLP site. Now the three prolific string arrangers of the late 19th c are represented: Dessaeur, Paul Klengel and Friedrich Hermann, in addition to a host of other arrangers who were mainly composers such as Sitt and Kreuz.

Let's hope that well-wishers can follow in the footsteps of Carlo Barato and upload their private collections so that we can all enjoy them. For example so far there are no arrangements from the extensive Augener catalog of 1900-1920 by Kreuz.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Dear William/Emil,

A search revealed we already had several works categorised and another couple waiting to be categorised, so the Dessauer page was a little overdue.
It strikes me as strange that with nearly 100,000 scores in the collection, asking for some or all of 15 long out of print , essentially forgotten works (in other words IMSLP'S stock-in-trade) is considered by at least one fellow contributor to be unethical.
I can’t see a direct accusation of unethical behaviour previously in this thread (I think I was very careful not to make an initial accusation, and to offer apology in advance if it was taken as such): though I would indicate that when an individual posts in a thread under two or more different names without attempting to divulge the fact that is often seen as sock-puppetry. I am however convinced that if there is a case of it presently then no particular evil is intended by it. The sole effect seems that I was under the misapprehension that my second post in the thread was partially in reply to a bystander.

In fact, the subsequent discussion appears to have teased out the fact that the list is more or less a complete catalogue of all of the Dessauer arrangements that IMSLP doesn’t have – so again, check the last sentence under guideline (3). I don’t think there is much complaint about that now. However, I don’t think there is a huge problem with this particular list. There is a general problem, however, with requests of the kind described under guideline (3) – and I consider guidelines to be treated with flexibility and discretion, as opposed to rules that must be followed unthinkingly and unswervingly.

I would however point out that the “you have 100,000 scores, I’m only wanting 15” argument simply doesn’t wash. It is still a request to prioritise your particular choice of scores over the much vaster quantity that IMSLP does not have. Kalliwoda already pointed out the effect of dilution if one person’s request for a single score by person X is outweighed by an indiscriminate list of requests for other works by the same person X. If the other three requests have not been acted upon, it may be because the particular choices you wish to obtain are rare and obscure. As I said previously, I hope someone amongst the IMSLP contributors is able to help you – not all of the IMSLP community necessarily have the same interests or priorities. Instrumental arrangements for various ensembles are obviously a significant category and there is interest in finding works of this nature.

Regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

WilliamBunting wrote:Thank you for your thoughtful contributions. It is gratifyng to have some reaction to my score request after three previous requests produced no replies at all.
Please understand that if no one has the particular items you are asking for, they won't post back to say they don't have them. If a request gets 0 replies (for instance, the Mendelssohn's Konzertstucke orchestral parts I asked for yesterday), it means that no one has read the post who has both the parts and the time to scan and upload. I can ask again next year and maybe I'll get lucky, but for now, no one can help me.

The other thing is that if someone sees a post, and has the parts, it might take him a few months to get them on to IMSLP, given work commitments, etc.

The Score Requests forum is sometimes a bit of pot luck in that respect.
bsteltz
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

To all Dessauer- lovers

To start the ball rolling I found the Boccherini Sonata from the Alard-Dessauer series on sigla.rsl.ru, and have uploaded it.

Regards
WB
WilliamBunting
forum adept

Post by WilliamBunting »

Dessauer friends worldwide,

Dessauer's short 16-page monograph

Solo-Bratsche Viola
Verlag der Musikinstrumenten-Zeitung, 1913

is on Google books

If someone could download it and turn it into pdf it would enrich the Dessauer page.

One bizarre fact on HD emerging from the web is that Hitler attended his funeral!

Regards
WB