Prokofiev Scythian Suite Op.20

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

synergy543
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Prokofiev Scythian Suite Op.20

Post by synergy543 »

There are many later opuses scores by Prokofiev posted so I assume it might be possible to include Prokofiev's Scythian Suite Op.20.

Any plans for this one?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Re: Prokofiev Scythian Suite Op.20

Post by KGill »

It was published in 1923 by Boosey & Hawkes, so it could be uploaded, although it would probably be blocked with [TB]. It seems like rather a rare score as well.
synergy543

Post by synergy543 »

Oh, but rare like a fine wine. Its such a lovely score! You're right though its hard to find. I can only find the study score for purchase. Even though I can buy it, scanned pdfs are so useful as you can print up just the section you want.

Pardon, I'm an total NooB. What does TB mean?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

See this thread for information.
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Actually, this score is pretty common. Any library worth their salt would have a copy, but indeed this would suffer the [TB] if uploaded.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

If that's so, then I guess most libraries haven't registered with WorldCat that they have it, because the original edition is apparently held only by one Australian library. Boosey later re-released it in 1947; this edition appears to be held by three other libraries. So you're saying that this is probably nowhere close to accurate?
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

As far as I know, the reprint by Boosey was just that—a reprint of the 1923 printing with no alterations.
synergy543

Post by synergy543 »

Well, sounds like its a trip to the library for me and some scanning work. Thanks for the TB explanation link (as I couldn't search "TB").

So even 87 years after publication its still under CP. I suppose its tied to X number of years after the composer's death in the U.S. (even though he didn't die in the U.S.)?

It seems such a shame the scores couldn't be made available online in pdf for a nominal fee. I don't mind paying the copyright fee, I just want a pdf copy. I wonder what the actual copyright fee percentage would be as opposed to cost/profit for print publication? Are we protecting the copyright owners or the publishers business?

The end result is making these scores more inaccessible at a time when we need them more than ever to keep this music alive.
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Anything published with a valid notice between 1923 and 1977 is protected in the US for 95 years after date of publication (unless it wasn't renewed...getting too complicated already :wink: ). So the Prokofiev, published in 1923, will be protected in the US until January 1, 2019.
If you're interested, you can see this page for a pretty simple guide, or here for a full manual-type guide.
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

KGill wrote:If that's so, then I guess most libraries haven't registered with WorldCat that they have it, because the original edition is apparently held only by one Australian library. Boosey later re-released it in 1947; this edition appears to be held by three other libraries. So you're saying that this is probably nowhere close to accurate?
Probably you were making the mistake of trying to search by the common English title, rather than the title of original publication, Ala et Lolly. If you search by that title, you will see 1923 editions by Boosey, B&H, and Gutheil, all held by multiple libraries, and other editions of later date as well.
Jim
synergy543

Post by synergy543 »

Thanks for all the helpful info you guys have posted in this thread.

Greatly appreciated.