Violin viola (v de g ) and continuo

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

sugiura
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Violin viola (v de g ) and continuo

Post by sugiura »

Are there any downloadable Baroque trio sonatas for violin, viola (playing viola de gamba part) and continuo?

For example, I have a printed edition (Peters, Leipzig 1970) of a Telemann trio sonata for v va ( v de g ) and cont in Gmaj which makes very rewarding music-making for intermediate amateurs.

Also I own one by Krieger, but with only a real v de g part.

This must be an ideal genre for IMSLP: commercially unviable, but sought after by a few enthusiasts around the world.
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Violin viola (v de g ) and continuo

Post by steltz »

If you go to the search box, enter "gamba" and then click "imslp.org", a relatively large list comes up, but much of it is solo gamba music. There are trio sonatas by Buxtehude listed on his discussion page, but apparently none have been uploaded to IMSLP yet (and I'm not sure about the copyright status of the collection they come from).

There was some luck with Telemann, though -- look at Sonata no.10 from Essercizii Musici. Also by Telemann, if you can find another player, in the Quartets book 4 you will find a quartet for flute, violin, gamba, b.c. (and, of course, another violinist can read the flute part).

Then, I don't know the range of a viola d'amore, but there are some trio sonatas by Quantz for flute, viola d'amore and b.c. (again, violin can substitute for flute).

That seems to be it for now, unless someone else has a different search routine that unearths something else (or someone can upload Mr. Buxtehude's trios!)
Enjoy!
bsteltz