Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

swpianist
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Post by swpianist »

Greetings,

I am researching Tchaikovsky's Piano Sonata in C sharp minor, Op. Posth. 80, composed in 1865. The score, although used as recently for performance and publication as 1901, is now, unfortunately, lost. I am hoping to track down the details of this score's history, it's last known location. This work is little known, and might be completely unknown if it weren't for two fascinating recordings of it made by pianists Samuil Feinberg and Emil Gilels. The Scherzo of this rarely heard Sonata is the same Scherzo as Tchaikovsky's First Symphony, Op. 13.

If anyone has any clue about this work, comments, or knowledge of it, please contact me.

Also, if anyone has any idea about how to locate the score (or at least its last known whereabouts) I am greatly interested. It's sort of a musical archeology project.

The first publisher, in 1900, was Peter Jurgenson, Moscow.

Thanks!
audunsj
forum adept
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Re: Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C sharp minor

Post by audunsj »

I'm guessing that you mean the autograph (i.e. handwritten copy by the author)? You might want to direct your question to this forum http://www.tchaikovsky-research.net/en/forum/index.html BTW this is not the right forum for this kind of requests...
Davydov
Copyright Reviewer

Post by Davydov »

It isn't lost, it's here:

http://imslp.org/wiki/Piano_Sonata%2C_O ... _Ilyich%29

FIrst uploaded to IMSLP in June 2007! :)
swpianist

Post by swpianist »

Thanks all for the information. Actually, I am holding out hope of someday locating the manuscript. I have four copies of the printed score to this work. I wasn't sure where to post this request, so please accept my regrets for posting in the wrong forum.

Cheers!