Rossini string sonatas

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

violinraja

Rossini string sonatas

Post by violinraja »

If anybody has the scores of G.Rossini's string sonatas for String quartet. At least the score of the first movement if the first sonanata.
Thanks in advance
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Rossini string sonatas

Post by steltz »

You need to specify whether you need the Rossini's original instrumentation (2 violins, viola, contrabass), or the later arrangement for standard string quartet (2 violins, viola, cello).

This piece is tricky, either way. Doblinger (ed Malaric) and Schott' (ed. Lebermann) editions date from the 1970s, so unless it can be proven that they are copies of the original with no editing (unlikely), they are not PD.

Orpheus has the arrangement for standard string quartet, dating from 2001 or 2002, depending which of the 6 sonatas.

Masters Music has an edition dated 2002, editor Clark McAlister.

Pesaro has an edition that WorldCat dates as 1954, but lists preface by Bonaccorsi (this could be removed if under copyright) and revision by Lino Liviabella, and I don't know his dates. This seems to be original instrumentation

Zanibon has an edition that WorldCat lists as 1946-68 depending which of the 6, but with an editor names Ettore Bonelli. Without knowing his dates, this may or may not be PD. Also, it's the standard string quartet arrangement.

Carisch (Milan) has an edition from 1943, editor Alfredo Casella, who died in 1947. This would be the best bet for original instrumentation, if someone has a copy.

Kalmus has an edition, and WorldCat lists the date as 19-- (in one case 197-), and there is no editor listed so some of these would possibly this one would be PD, but firm dates still need to be established.

And although I can't find it on WorldCat, I seem to remember a Ricordi edition, with Malipiero as editor. This probably wouldn't be PD yet.
bsteltz
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

I have the McAlister edition for these Sonatas and I'm wondering if I scan them in and then edit them to take out the editorial markings if they can be uploaded...
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Will you know specifically what his additions are? Usually, unless you have some kind of original edition to compare to, it is very difficult, if not impossible to know what an editor/arranger did.
bsteltz
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

It claims to be a critical edition, but all that is there except for notes are a handful of dynamic markings, cresc. labels, and unnecessary articulations over a lot of notes. I have a couple different editions so if I went through and made my own editions to the piece couldn't i publish that myself? If I strip those few indications out so there's just notes left and an occasional p or f in common to all editions that can't possibly be violating any editorial copyright, correct?
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

Sounds reasonably logical, but let's hear from one of the copyright reviewers.
bsteltz
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

If you (icactus) create your own edition by removing any material that you suspect was added by McAlister (or any other editor), then it would be completely fine to upload. In fact, I think it would be legal in all three jurisdictions IMSLP looks at (Canada, the US, and the EU), since it was first published over 50 years ago (1930s, I believe) and Kalmus has reprinted at least one (manuscript) edition of all six sonatas. Feel free to upload.
icactus
active poster

Post by icactus »

awesome. It's a bit time consuming but I'll get them up eventually. I hope I'm the last person who ever has to pay for those parts. Especially when "editing" means putting Carrots over every single 16th note. Thanks editor.