Clarinet Trios

Moderators: daphnis, kcleung

yojimboken
regular poster

Clarinet Trios

Post by yojimboken »

I'm a long time member of a clarinet trio (clarinet, cello, piano), and finding material is always a challenge. I know of over 100 trios, but have only been able to locate parts for about a dozen, and many of these are not PD.

So - any clarinet trios, parts or scores, would be most welcome. In particular, Zemlinsky, Freuling, Farrenc, Ries, Berger, and Juon, if anyone has them.

Thanks
yojimboken
regular poster

Re: Clarinet Trios

Post by yojimboken »

Nice to see the Berger Clarinet trio added - though it is not obvious, since it is categorized as a "piano trio", implying a violin with the cello and piano. Still, it is great to have it. Any more clarinet trios roaming around out there?
steltz
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by steltz »

The ones you can get on this site are:

Amberg, Johan, Fantasy Pieces, op. 12 for A clar (or vln), vla (or cello), piano (pub. 1910, Romantic)
Amberg, Trio, op.11 for Bb clarinet (or vln), cello, piano (pub. c.1910, Romantic)
the Berger that you mentioned
Eberl, Anton, Grand Trio, op.36 for clarinet, cello, piano (Classical); unfortunately has a [TB] block due to editor
Gyrowetz, Grand Trio, op. 43 for clarinet (or violin), cello, piano (Classical)
Hartmann, Emil, Serenade, op. 24 for clarinet (or violin, or viola), cello, and piano (Romantic)
Sick, Theodor, Trio no. 1 in Bb, op. 45 for clarinet, cello, piano (1878)
Sick, Theodor, Trio no. 2 in g, op. 46 for clarinet, cello, piano (1878)

I haven't tried any of them yet, so I can't say what they're like, but there is a lot to explore . . . .
bsteltz
yojimboken
regular poster

Post by yojimboken »

Aha! I had missed the Sick trios. Thanks!

We have played all of the others (except the Sick and the Berger), and they are all okay. I'm not a big fan of the Amberg pieces, but they are skillfully written. We already had the Eberl - it has a rather eccentric scherzo that is fun - and the Gyrowetz. There are still more lurking out there. I know of about 115 clarinet trios. About 60% of them are 20th century and later, but still leaves quite a few (Juon and Ferranc come to mind).
jfarrington
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by jfarrington »

Sibley has a couple more that haven't been uploaded to IMSLP:

Sechs Charakterstücke für Violine und Violoncello (In Kanonform) mit Begleitung des Klaviers, op. 53, komponirt von Alexis Hollaender. Ausgabe B für Klarinette, Viola und Klavier. http://hdl.handle.net/1802/4394

Trio pour piano, clarinette (ou violon) et violoncelle, op. 29 / Vincent d’Indy. http://hdl.handle.net/1802/5431
Jim
yojimboken
regular poster

Post by yojimboken »

We do have the Indy already. I just looked at the Sick trios - they will have unfortunately to wait until I have time to create playing scores from the manuscripts. I can just hear the screams of anguish if I were to show up with copies of what is posted :)

Just looked at the Hollaender, and it's the same situation - I'd have to transcribe the viola part for cello. However - those look VERY promising. Thanks for the tip.
allegroamabile
active poster

Post by allegroamabile »

Some trios you can try are Glinka's Trio pathetique (on imslp) and Mendelssohn's Concert Pieces. The Glinka was written for bassoon which could easily be adaptable for violincello and the Mendelssohn has a popular arrangement for bassoon which also could be played on cello.

hope this helps
steltz
active poster

Post by steltz »

There is another one that can easily be adapted from a clarinet/bassoon/piano trio, and that is the 6 Sonatas by CPE Bach. IMSLP doesn't have it, and there may very well be a copyright problem with it. The Los Angeles Clarinet Institute has it, but they got it from partita.ru, who has lots of "still under copyright" material on it. According to WorldCat, there have been at least 3 published versions, so there probably is a public domain source, but the only printed edition that is more than 50 years old is the International Music Co. edition (1955), and the partita.ru edition looks like Editio Musica Budapest (1962) to me. (I can check this at my university library, because that's the edition we have).

Anyway, back to the Bach -- the 6 Sonatas are single-movement Sonatas in the Scarlatti mold. They aren't profound in any way, but they are good light concert openers, and you can combine 2 or 3 sonatas to come up with a 6-8 minute piece.

And while we're talking about adaptations, I'd forgotten that the Bruch Trios are sometimes done with cello in place of viola. IMSLP doesn't have the cello parts, but Music Masters does a nice edition of all 8 in 2 volumes that has all of the alternate parts in it.

Finally, from the 20th C. rep, have you tried Tajcevic's Balkan Dances? They're lots of fun (still under copyright, so you have to buy it -- publisher is Schott).
bsteltz
gixmi

Post by gixmi »

There are still more lurking out there. I know of about 115 clarinet trios. About 60% of them are 20th century and later, but still leaves quite a few (Juon and Ferranc come to mind).