Pending Copyright Review [B]

General copyright-related issues and discussions

Moderator: Copyright Reviewers

Plattypus

Pending Copyright Review [B]

Post by Plattypus »

Hiya, I was wondering if there was any particular order in which the reviews are being done? I realise there are over 1000, I just wondered if you were prioritising in any way.
Thanks very much :)
Peter
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Peter »

In short: no :D

Or actually, at least in my case, the ones that have easy identifiable information go first, most of the times I'm too lazy for the hard ones.
ashaam

Post by ashaam »

and why are roussel's works still blocked? :(
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Many of Roussel's works were first published after 1923, so they fall foul of the US' 95 year copyright. A quick sampling of some of the works showed most of the copyright tags that imposed a block were because of non-PD status in the US - regards, Philip
--
PML (talk)
Quarknugget

Scott Joplin?

Post by Quarknugget »

I think just about all of the Joplin rags are under review. Were these published after 1923? Because on other websites I heard that most of his works are in the public domain. I really want them up!
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

We just haven't gotten to that particular section yet. Actually, I did clear a few not too long ago.
Melodia
active poster

Post by Melodia »

As far as I know, all of Joplin's music is PD except for Silver Swan Rag.

Actually I was wondering, does the system actually check somehow where you are, or are ones that say, for instance, V/25/V still locked out for everyone?
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

I think It blocks it for everyone - I asked about an IP adress recognition system a while ago - that would cut down on legal liability as well as making things more accessible (and maybe the Canadian Urtext law could be used then too - free urtexts (not for me though...)!)
Leonard Vertighel
Groundskeeper

Post by Leonard Vertighel »

IP address based geolocation has been discussed over and over in the forums. I suggest that you do a search. In short, if IMSLP was responsible for the enforcement of the copyright laws of every user's country, if would mean having to keep track of the copyright laws of some 200 sovereign countries in the world, a task which is perfectly impossible without a huge team of legal experts. Besides, geolocation is absolutely trivial to circumvent.
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

Leonard is 100% correct. The only way IMSLP would be able to afford a law firm to keep track of 200 constantly changing copyright laws around the world, plus the considerable expense of software capable of such filtering, would be if we charged money for each download.

That's not going to happen, since the whole purpose of this endeavor is to make the scores available at no charge.

Back to the Joplin scores, they've all been reviewed and approved.