Mozart sonatas

Moderator: kcleung

Frederik
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Mozart sonatas

Post by Frederik »

Hi there,
Mozart seems to be many members' favorite composer. Which sonata, according to your knowledge, is the one with the most emotional and musical suspense?
Happy to know your thoughts,
Frederik
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I don't think those are the only merits that grant a sonata 'great' status.

I like all of them as much as each other! Like all of his pieces.

btw for reference: www.mozart-archiv.com
Frederik

Post by Frederik »

I did not imply that these qualities are inherent and necessarily present in 'great' sonatas. What makes something great, a classic as it were, has to do with both the adherence to and transcendance of norms, one could argue. But I am more interested in the personal experience of certain pieces that one might have while hearing them (and arguably, this depends as much on the score as the performance, but still).
Cheers!
killagorila13

Post by killagorila13 »

I think my favorite has to be his No. 12 in F Major.

The entire piece is just so incredible. My favorite movement is the first, by far.
Knittysong

Post by Knittysong »

I totally agree with killagorila, the #12 in F is the best, most interesting and also fun to play. I only slightly differ re. which is the best movement- I love them all equally!

Viva Wolfgang!
kevalkeval1993

Post by kevalkeval1993 »

I'm currently learning the opening movement of his 12th sonata and it is a lovely piece of music. To be honest I'm getting slightly sick of it as it is quite difficult in sections, and after a year I'm still working on the piece! But yes I agree that it is the best of the Mozart sonatas for piano
x