Dedicated to our US friends, on the eve of their election

Moderator: kcleung

Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Licensing buggery?

Okay agreed this (should) be in "other" rather than "music related" (even though it is, it isn't really), but nothing has been hijacked.
aldona
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by aldona »

The topic of this thread was the US election, with a link highlighting the musical talents of one of the candidates in order to make it more relevant for this forum.

A number of people commented on a number of issues relating (in various ways) to the US election.

Congratulations on resurrecting the thread almost 2 weeks after it had lapsed into inactivity, and then having the nerve to accuse previous posters of "hijacking".

aldona
“all great composers wrote music that could be described as ‘heavenly’; but others have to take you there. In Schubert’s music you hear the very first notes, and you know that you’re there already.” - Steven Isserlis
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Okay.

I'll take the rap for going "off-topic" on the matter of Proposition 8 in California, in the context of a thread dedicated to the US Election, with perhaps marginal musical relevance (i.e., yet another nauseating YouTube of Sarah Palin).

User barn_elms, whoever you are, you're a gutless wonder without the courage to state your worthless and bigoted opinions behind your own name. Unlike each of the three aussies who you've accused of "hijacking".

Have you ever heard of the phrase "live and let live", mate?

That's what President-Elect Obama stands for, in marked contrast to the flute-playing moose-hunting hockey mum.

PML :evil:

P.S. It would seem User barn_elms = Richard Soar, if the referenced web page for the Maddox Petrovsky site is correct. Anyway, you're still a coward, and most importantly: you're just plain wrong, and I'll spell it out. Prop. 8 ≠ "licensing buggery". *deleted*

EDIT: Cleaned language in post.
EDIT: Now it is - Yagan. :P
Last edited by pml on Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Keep it clean pwease.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Sorry for the language, if not the sentiments I expressed. I saw red.

PML
--
PML (talk)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Sentiments are fine, (you are entitled to your opinion - as is barn_elms), just the language.

Swearing (as long as you censor it) is fine by me, blatant ad hominem attacks are more of a problem - probably should write something up for it...

I support arguing against the other's opinions however - even though I am an Admin I will always argue. :P
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

Hi Yagan,

just interested how you determined calling barn_elms an "idiot" was a blatant ad hom., but "gutless wonder" and "coward" were not so? I thought all three descriptions were indicative of that, and could all be taken as ad hom. attacks, just being a question of how "blatant". I thought Aldona's sarcastic congratulations said just as much, without such concision as my final rejoinder.

Regards, PML
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I would simply add that if barn_elms is not aware that there exist married (and unmarried) opposite-sex couples who practice "buggery," then he's likewise not aware that that very fact makes it already "licensed."
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I just think that calling someone an idiot is a very direct accusation and it is worse. That said the others are probably just as bad, I had my recital (just finished - thank god!) and wasn't thinking straight.

Sarcasm tends to lean more towards trolling than flaming also.

Either way, let's all just start again.

It is also my personal opinion (now that I know what he meant by licensing buggery - he literally mean sodomy (yes/no?)) that barn_elms is grossly uninformed - judging by his brief outburst anyway.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

I wouldn't think that there would be a problem with calling someone's statement idiotic. Jumping to the personal and calling someone "idiot" isn't necessary --

-- that is, unless one is going to use the term as one of the old, outdated categories of mental deficiency, along with "moron" and "imbecile." :wink:
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin

Post by Yagan Kiely »

Retard used to be the politically correct terminology I believe. :P