Dulcis memoria (Anonymous)

Reports of various issues on work pages.

Moderators: vinteuil, Leonard Vertighel, Lyle Neff, Wiki Admins

StephenWest
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Dulcis memoria (Anonymous)

Post by StephenWest »

I just noticed the piece entitled Dulcis memoria (Anonymous), for 4 viols. I am pretty sure this is just an arrangement, for viols, of Doulce memoire en plaisir consommée (Sandrin). I'm not sure what needs to be done to check if this is indeed the case and, if so, to move it to an arrangements tab on that page.

Thanks

Stephen
Carolus
Site Admin

Re: Dulcis memoria (Anonymous)

Post by Carolus »

They are different works. The Anonymous piece is actually a Fantasia on 'Dulcis memoria' (and has now been changed accordingly). I have no idea what the fantasia was originally written for. Keyboard? Lute? At any rate, it remains in Anonymous.
StephenWest
regular poster

Post by StephenWest »

Hi Carolus. I'm surprised that you consider them different. Are we looking at the same things?... I'm comparing the Sandrin score by Ulrich Alpers with the Fantasia on 'Dulcis memoria' score by Albert Folop. I've had another look and can't see any substantive difference between them. They are barred differently and there are some ficta in different places, and a small number of changed note lengths are different (with rests to compensate). Other than that, they look the same to me!

...but I'm not going to lose any sleep over this...if you think it's best to keep them separate, then so be it!

Cheers

Steve
pierre.chepelov
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by pierre.chepelov »

Hi all,
Years ago I sang and conducted this piece... IMHO Folop's score is not a Fantasia, but a mere instrumental transcription, with a very few minor discrepancies: nothing other than an arrangement of Sandrin's Douce mémoire.
(not speaking of the horrible a-flat on bar 25 :? )
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

That will teach me to just glance at the file! I obviously didn't look very closely. The pages will be merged.
StephenWest
regular poster

Post by StephenWest »

Many thanks!

The piece, although written for voices, has long been played on viols, too. When I looked under Sandrin, I was surprised not to find a viol edition and was thinking of doing one of my own, possibly incorporating some of the divisions that Ortiz wrote for the piece (in the 1550s, I think?)

Then I checked more thoroughly, under variants of the title, and found the "anonymous" edition. It really does look like the same piece, though.

Cheers

Stephen