Scores, scores, score, but no books.

Moderator: kcleung

Lyle Neff
active poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Lyle Neff »

Yagan Kiely wrote:That said, we need more. Rimsky-Korsakov orchestration would be nice.
If I can find where my copy of that book is, I'd like to start scanning it for upload. In small sections, that is.

Have you all seen the free online adaptation? It's linked from the Garritan Personal Orchestra site. Go here. (Not quite finished yet; use of voices has not been added yet.)
Yagan Kiely
Site Admin
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by Yagan Kiely »

I know that GPO has choir, but I bet it would be a while until they have voices.
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Hello,

Could someone please provide some advice on this question that I asked on Aug. 4? Thanks.
I was going to upload the book "Rimsky-Korsakov" by M. Montagu-Nathan (which is at Internet Archive and Harvard), but was put off by the copyright matters (it's from 1917, but he died in 1958, so there were all these warnings coming up about non-PD in lots of places when I created his "composer" page.)

If it's best not to upload this work, please delete the "composer" page that I created for "Montagu-Nathan, Montagu".

Otherwise, please advise. [...]
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
daphnis
Copyright Reviewer

Post by daphnis »

Lyle, upload the book and we'll tag it for release in 2009. I would also suggest creating a composition/work link under Rimsky-Korsakov.
Stockhausen

Post by Stockhausen »

There are tons, and I do mean TONS of books on google. I recall that Harvard started a electronic library and other schools joined up. Then google took over. Most the books are free to download and copyright free. just goto books.google.com and do your search. then in the drop down box, click "full preview." and there you go. free music theory, composition, orchestration, history books. In my own "library" i have about 300 books. On top of that the scans are very good.

This was my first post, and I hope that this will not be thought of as spam. I am just trying to be useful. Hope this helps.
vinteuil
Groundskeeper
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by vinteuil »

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Other_music_score_websites. Feel free to add any others if you know of them (no dupicates, please...)
Carolus
Site Admin

Post by Carolus »

That's very true, but you have to make sure that all Google logos and the embedded metadata are stripped before uploading here. As we've discussed on the scanning thread, Google does some really bizarre things when they scan items so that random pages can cause a printer crash.
Operalala
active poster

Libretti, lyrics and translations

Post by Operalala »

Are there any plans to include libretti, lyrics and translations for vocal works?
Someone above said they created a Category:Libretti, but I couldn't find the page on IMSLP.
Operalala
Lyle Neff
active poster

Post by Lyle Neff »

Operalala,

I uploaded Tjumenev's Russian translation of Wagner's "Ring", so there are some libretti already.

The problem is that pages for non-composing authors have to be created as "composer" pages; and, like books (with which they are classed on IMSLP), titles have to be created as musical compositions (for now).

As to the Google scans, not all of them are good. Pages might be missing which should be there (without explanation), or only part of page might be scanned with someone's hand in the way or the page blurred because it was moving at the time of scanning.
"A libretto, a libretto, my kingdom for a libretto!" -- Cesar Cui (letter to Stasov, Feb. 20, 1877)
Operalala
active poster

Libretti

Post by Operalala »

There would also need to be way to link the libretti to their corresponding scores.

Operalala
Lyle Neff
active poster

Re: Libretti

Post by Lyle Neff »

Operalala wrote:There would also need to be way to link the libretti to their corresponding scores.

Operalala
If the libretto was written by the composer, the file data could simply be placed on the page for the composition; f it was written by someone else, the data can be copied from the "book" work page of the librettist and pasted into the page for the work -- with an appropriate subheading added in both situations.
Operalala
active poster

Post by Operalala »

The libretti would need to be *linked* in some way to the composition from which they were taken, otherwise no one will know they're there.

Operalala