How can I ask sysop to edit the locked pages?

General help on the Wiki

Moderators: kcleung, Wiki Admins

supertchan
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: How can I ask sysop to edit the locked pages?

Post by supertchan »

Thanks a lot again.

I've put other Japanese translations on their talk page.

http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Special:AddFile/MainText
http://imslp.org/wiki/IMSLP:Special:RateFile/MainText

Could you edit them?
KGill
Copyright Reviewer

Post by KGill »

Both done!
supertchan
regular poster

Post by supertchan »

Thanks for every help for me.

Today, I have a question.
I'd like to translate entry templates (Mediawiki:IMSLPComposerEntry, Mediawiki:IMSLPWorkEntry, Mediawiki:IMSLPFileEntry) but I can't find original English one.
Where can I find them and where shall I save the translations?
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

They are in Mediawiki:FTE:<templatename>:Messages, and they use the /<language> translation system. IFLANG does not work in these pages. Translate only messages to the right of the pipe sign (|).

For example: for {{#fte:imslpfile, you have to translate MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile:Messages to MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile:Messages/ja. Translations may take up to 1 day to take effect due to caching (and then another 3 because of the normal page caches). Some of the messages may be hard-coded into the template itself (for example, the Amazon section for imslpfile), but that can be fixed by using the {{{msg:<name>}}} construct in place of the hard-coded message on the appropriate FTE page (MediaWiki:FTE:imslpfile in our above example). However, be very careful not to break the page (check out preexisting usage of {{{msg:}}} first). Just a note: if a message name starts with ~, the message is not HTML-escaped during inclusion; otherwise, all messages are HTML-escaped.

FTE templates are a special custom feature of IMSLP, and you will not find documentation on it anywhere else (or even on IMSLP because nobody has taken the time to write it). If you want to, and have the time, I would be very happy if you could start writing documentation for the FTE template system for other translators. The translation section of IMSLP is in a mess because of the lack of documentation.

Also, ask a bureaucrat (Peter or Leonard Vertighel) to give you "translator" permissions, so that you can edit the MediaWiki message pages directly. Good job on the Japanese translation!
supertchan
regular poster

Post by supertchan »

Thank you for your help and detailed information.
I'll try to the translation after the server maintenance.
pml
Copyright Reviewer

Post by pml »

imslp wrote:FTE templates are a special custom feature of IMSLP, and you will not find documentation on it anywhere else (or even on IMSLP because nobody has taken the time to write it). If you want to, and have the time, I would be very happy if you could start writing documentation for the FTE template system for other translators. The translation section of IMSLP is in a mess because of the lack of documentation.
That might be because it's hard for end-users (and even Wikimedia savvy types) to see exactly how the pieces fit together, when most of the special server hooks you've designed appear to drag in templates from all sorts of places ;-)
--
PML (talk)
imslp
Site Admin

Post by imslp »

Well, I think the confusion mostly comes from the Autotagger, which is not part of FTE. The Autotagger is sort of like a wart: it should be part of FTE, but due to the !--noautotag-- tag, it isn't.

FTE itself is actually pretty straightforward, as long as the definition of "straightforward" includes some crookedness. Seriously, however, FTE templates are probably as intuitive as it is possible to make them, and they do not include other templates unless you ask it to. The user-friendliness of MediaWiki templates must be traded off for speed in a project like IMSLP, and that's FTE. In fact, FTE is not slower than a code-based function hook. But yes, it is ugly. Very ugly.