Kummer Cello Duets Op.22

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

stephez12

Kummer Cello Duets Op.22

Post by stephez12 »

I have a copy of the 3 cello duets Op.22 by F A Kummer (died 1879) edited by J Klengel (died 1933). This was published by IMC (plate 768) and was first issued in 1946. The typesetting is in the IMC house style.

As I understand it, if I can show this is a reprint of an earlier edition published before 1923, then it will be public domain and I can upload it. There are many cases like this on IMSLP (e.g. see Cello Sonata in E major (Valentini, Giuseppe)). The fact that the editor (Klengel) died over ten years before this IMC edition suggests this may be the case.

The Kummer duets were originally published by Breitkopf und Härtel, who were also Klengel’s publisher. On the back of the first violin part in IMSLP of the Anton Rubenstein Op.17 No1 string quartet is a Breitkopf und Härtel advertisement. Under cello duets it has this entry;

3152, Kummer, Drei Duos Op.20 (Klengel).

Op.20 by Kummer is not a set of cello duets. Kummer only wrote 2 sets of 3 cello duets – Op.22 and Op.165, so I believe this is a misprint and should say Op.22. This plate number (V.A.3152) would give a date of about 1909.

Despite an extensive search, I cannot get any further.

So I have 2 questions that I would appreciate some help with;
1. Can anyone confirm that the cello duets referred to in the advertisement are indeed Op.22?
2. If no one can help, then is the information above sufficient to justify uploading it as being public domain?

Thanks,

Steve
KGill
Copyright Reviewer
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Kummer Cello Duets Op.22

Post by KGill »

If your edition doesn't actually say 'Copyright 1946' on the first page, then it's almost certainly a reprint of the Breitkopf, which was in fact issued in 1909 (see here) and is PD everywhere except Mexico. I'd say this information should be quite sufficient to justify its unconstrained upload, as the vast majority of IMC publications are actually just reprints.