Mozart Horn Concerto No.4

Specific copyright information. If you're not sure if you can upload your score, ask it here first

Moderators: kcleung, Copyright Reviewers

horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Mozart Horn Concerto No.4

Post by horndude77 »

I'm wanting to make an edition of this piece for Mutopia. Unfortunately the B&H score is very different from every recording I've ever heard and from the Kling piano reduction. The NMA score for this piece seems to be what I want, but of course this is not a PD edition. I've found two possible editions:

- Eulenburg: I'm having a hard time verifiying the date on WorldCat (1990? 1964? 19--?).
- Kalmus: I can't tell what was used as the source. So I might end up with the same bad B&H edition. Does anyone know the source?

Thanks.
Carolus
Site Admin
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Re: Mozart Horn Concerto No.4

Post by Carolus »

The majority of Eulenburg's catalog was in print before they moved to London in 1938 to escape the Nazis. I expect the Eulenburg score first appeared in the 1920s, like a number of other Mozart items. WorldCat entries often indicate the date a particular copy was printed, not the date a given engraving first appeared. Kalmus almost certainly reprints the old B & H score, though I don't know that for sure (they reprint B & H scores for most of the other Mozart titles in their catalog). Here's the deal, though. If you're actually going to do a new typeset, anything that is from a public domain source - like Mozart's manuscript, early manuscript copies, early prints, etc. - is fair game for you to include in your new typeset edition. The only things that you cannot include are original contributions from another editor (like a preface, continuo realization, etc.). Items taken from other public domain sources are not protectable.
horndude77
active poster
notabot: YES
notabot2: Bot

Post by horndude77 »

Carolus wrote:Here's the deal, though. If you're actually going to do a new typeset, anything that is from a public domain source - like Mozart's manuscript, early manuscript copies, early prints, etc. - is fair game for you to include in your new typeset edition. The only things that you cannot include are original contributions from another editor (like a preface, continuo realization, etc.). Items taken from other public domain sources are not protectable.
I understand this. I wish I did have access to copies of the original manuscripts (They say mozart use different colored inks for making fun of the soloist).

I could probably just use the NMA for some of the questionable sections and be ok, but I want to minimize any potential copyright problems. Also I would like to eventually submit it to Mutopia which is somewhat strict in what they allow as a source edition.

Thanks for the info on the Eulenberg.
Puzzi22
regular poster
notabot: 42
notabot2: Human

Post by Puzzi22 »

I have the manuscripts (or what's left of them) of the Mozart Horn Concerti (KV. 417, 447, 495, 412, 514, 370b, 371, 494a). I will try to make them available within a few weeks. Unfortunately, the No. 4 is in black and white, so we can't see the 4 different coloured inks Mozart used! :(